Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Weather forecast: Good times ahead

Two weeks ago, it suddenly struck me that summer was over.

I was in the mood to watch the sun set over the waters in Jumeirah. I'd assumed that I'd have enough time to drive down to the Burj Al Arab end of the beach, but the fiery orb was making its descent almost 15 minutes earlier than expected, forcing me to settle for the public beach opposite the Jumeirah mosque. It wasn't a bad vantage point, but anyway, coming back to the point, I was amazed that I even noticed the subtle changes in the seasons. Considering one spends a good part of the day stuck in an office in front of a window without a view, I was pleased by my observation, and proceeded to announce it to everyone that the much reviled season was on its last legs. Of course, it will take another couple of weeks to feel a palpable difference, but for now, the knowledge is sufficient.

Early this week, we moved to a new office with expansive windows covering two-thirds of the room. Sunshine, glorious sunshine, lights up the room in a way that fluorescent tubes can never hope to. The windows overlook a parking lot, an undetermined construction (sigh, Dubai) and a row of stores - an unexceptional view - but there's more than a mouthful of sky to make up for it. The winter skies with streaks of wild colour, irrepressible clouds and languorous birds are a joy to behold. I can't wait to look over the computer monitor and take in the bigger picture...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

And we are expected to 'bear' with you if you go into hibernation?

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, Sky Dubai...quite a winter attraction it is.

Rhyncus said...

For me, summer ends when the coldwatertap stops giving hot water. One can surmise from recent baths that we are not far from this point.

Leela A said...

e: I'd be lion if I said no. :-)

Cherie: You're taking a leaf out of E's book, I see. :)

Rhyncus: LOL. Yeah, must remember to turn on the geysers now. :)

Anonymous said...

We'd be "lyin'" if we said so

Leela A said...

Cherie: I'm beginning to suspect you and e are the same person!

Patrix said...

Time to bring out that camera, eh? An expansive is going to make the poor me quite envious. But then such are the travails of a grad student who is settled in the not-so-private cubicle in the hallway.

Leela A said...

Cherie: The truth, finally...

Patrix: The grad student will be making big BIG bucks soon. So, we'll see who'll be turning green then...

Anonymous said...

Truth? I don't remember claiming to not be the same person :)

Leela A said...

e: Double negative equals....? :)

Anonymous said...

....only opposites attracting :P!