It's bizarre and immensely gratifying to note that in the first two weeks of 2007, I've been on 3 continents.
I'm back in Dubai after 3 languid weeks in Australia and a breathless week in Bombay. Part of the silence lately can be attributed to this dashing about the place, soaking in the experience and enjoying every moment of it.
"You seem different," some tell me, referring mostly to the tan. But there are some deep-rooted alterations too, I can tell. Trips unfailingly do that to me. I'm still unravelling the experience, figuring out a way to translate it all. But before I get into all of that, some of the memorable moments...
* Snorkelling in the Great Barrier Reef (definitely one of life's highlight)
* Skydiving from 14,000 feet
* Learning to surf (one very wobbly surfer there!)
* Sampling a grill consisting of kangaroo, crocodile and emu meat
* Travelling alone to Melbourne & Cairns without a map or itinerary (and in one instance without even accommodation)
* Drinking enough wine - incredibly fine Australian wine - to fill a small bathtub
* Watching a Mozart opera at the Sydney Opera House
* Getting invited to dinner by a charming Swedish septuagenarian (I politely declined)
* Getting invited to dinner by an Aussie bush tracker who was also a digeridoo player, Japanese film enthusiast and marijuana grower! (I was too intrigued to refuse.)
* Almost losing my hand luggage, almost leaving my ticket behind, almost forgetting my phone... all of this even before the flight to Sydney took off. I guess I'm lucky I got back in one piece, minus only the camera. Sigh.
The Australia Diary continues...